MacFarlane Pheasants, Inc. has finished the mature pheasant season successfully. We continue to sell large numbers of pheasant chicks and starter chicks. Our pheasant meat has been sold all over the world to cruise ships, high-end restaurants, and grocery stores for several years. Obviously, due to the pandemic, restaurant and cruise ship sales have been affected, but grocery store sales are growing!
We began selling our products to Woodman’s grocery stores in Janesville, Beloit, Sun Prairie, and Waukesha about six months ago and the excitement over our products is exceptional! They are carrying whole birds, breast meat, brats, pheasant pot pies, pheasant snack sticks and eggs!
All of MacFarlane Pheasants’ food products are USDA approved, antibiotic-free and locally grown and processed. Pheasant meat is a leaner and healthier alternative to other meats and though it has sometimes been saved for special occasions, it is the perfect choice for any day!
At a time in our lives when we can’t go out to our favorite restaurant, it is the right time to try MacFarlane’s pheasant meat and eggs. Let’s just think about the choices before you visit your local Woodman’s or our online store.
• Pheasant brats are delicious and can be prepared as easily as any brat, but the taste is undeniably more delicious. You can choose from Portobello Mushroom and Swiss, Beer Cheddar and Classic Brats. You will love them all!
• Our Pheasant Pie includes wild rice and has a golden flaky crust. It is filled to the brim with a colorful array of veggies and flavorful pheasant breast meat. Enjoy this easy-to-cook meal that the whole family can enjoy.
• Pheasant breasts are low in fat, high in protein with rich a poultry flavor that will please your palate. Try them oven roasted or even on your gas grill. Our free online recipe book will guide you through the process.
• Whole pheasants can be prepared so many different ways to make you feel like you are eating at a high-end restaurant. Check out our free online recipe book for many exciting choices.
• Pheasant snack sticks are a real treat with a flavor you won’t forget. Love, love, love them!
• Pheasant eggs are smaller than a typical chicken egg so you will want to use two for every chicken egg you would use, but the flavor is so rich and flavorful, you won’t be disappointed.
Tips for Cooking Pheasant:
• Add a new twist to old favorites! Simply take a recipe and use pheasant in place of pork, turkey or chicken. Pheasant’s natural flavor is ready to adapt to favorite recipes and its uses are limitless.
• Pheasants are very low in fat. When roasting pheasant, it’s important to roast at a low temperature 250 to 325°F and to cover the pheasant. Make sure you have plenty of moisture in the pot from your recipe or from some added water in the bottom of the pot.
• When you cook pheasant, cook until the internal temperature is about 160 to 165°F, cover and set aside to allow carry over to finish the process to about 180°F. This makes for a tender and moist pheasant portion.
• Pheasant, like all meats and poultry, should rest after cooking to allow the juices to settle in the meat.
• Use of simple marinades or brines before cooking will help maintain moisture, while adding flavor.
• Compliment pheasant with gourmet sauces like cranberry chutney for savory and sweet taste.
• Serve pheasant with everyday sides, like mashed potatoes, green bean casserole, corn on the cob, wild rice, fruit salad or broccoli with cheese.
• Pheasant can be roasted, sautéed, braised, barbecued and cooked in a crock- pot. Let creativity be your guide.
Pheasant Breast Tips
• When grilling or cooking pheasants' breast meat, sear the side with less skin, quickly, then flip skin side down to finish. This makes the skin crispy and tasty while keeping the moisture in the breast. Grill until the juices rise to the surface and are slightly pink; remove and cover in a warm place for 5 minutes to finish.
• Tender pheasant breast meat strips are perfect to use in making great-tasting entrée salads, grilled appetizer kabobs, and flavorful stir-fry dishes.
For any questions, feel free to call us at 800-345-8348 or 608-314-3455. You may also visit our online retail store: www.pheasantfordinner.com